Saturday, January 24, 2009

Good Family

Well...first of all, I should start off with the Ballet Jacchigua. It was incredible. There were some awkward scenes (not entirely a family program) but there were so many beautiful dances and costumes. One of the ushers was really annoying...I was filming and she told me to stop, and I did. Then she came up to me two more times during the show to tell me not to film until finally I had to argue with her and tell her I'm not filming, I'm taking pictures. But she kept repeating herself over and over "No puedes filmar, no puedes filmar." (You can't film). I understand. I'm not. I'm telling you this (in your own language) and you act like you can't hear the words that are coming out of my mouth! Ayayay.

What I really want to write about is my family here. If you don't know, I've been sick the past few days. I was really sick yesterday and just felt....blah. Well, the mothers here are wonderful (everyone is actually). One of the ladies here especially kept tabs on what I ate and made sure I was eating enough and not eating what would make me more sick. Then she sent her son out with tea for me, with the message that I need to drink it, it's medicinal, it will help me. :) I really hate tea, but I really appreciated the gesture (so I tried to drink as much as possible). Then, the other students from NILI went into Carcelen. I was feeling too sick to go, so I stayed in bed to play on my computer and sleep. When they came back, they brought me red roses, Sprite and crackers for my stomach, and Gatorade for the dehydration. I was so touched! I love my NILIs. And I have to say that if the food didn't help me feel better, their thoughtfulness did. Because I feel a million times better today besides a kind of heartburn-like pain in my stomach area. They are my 4-month family, and I love them. :)

As an overall update...classes are going well. There's a lot of work to do, more homework than I think is necessary for study abroad students, but I suppose I can handle it (insert sighing and dirty looks here). I'm especially not looking forward to my 10 page exegesis. In Ecuador? Seriously? Ew. OK, that's really all. Hopefully something more exciting will happen soon that I can update you on.

God bless,
Amy Jo

0 comments: